Monday, August 10, 2015

Celebrating Picture Book 10 for 10 #pb10for10

Today marks the anniversary of the picture book celebration #PB10for10.  It is a day where fellow educators share some of their favourite picture books with each other.  You can find many links to their blog posts (with some really great book recommendations) by checking out #pb10for10 on twitter.

It's been a couple of years since I first participated but it's something I've always hoped to get back to.  Thankfully this year I am back.  Below you will find 10 pictures books that are near and dear to my heart for one reason or another.  I didn't really follow a theme, like many do, but instead I went to the small pile of books that are sitting in my apartment right now as most of my classroom library is packed up tightly in boxes in my brand new school for the 2015/16 school year. (A blog post on this change is still to come).  So I guess I could say my theme is... books that I just couldn't leave packed up in boxes over the summer.  In no particular order here are my ten books...


The OK Book - By Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld



There is something about a book that celebrates us not for being the best at something but for being okay.  I love the message this book shares and I love how everyone I've ever shared it with can relate.

The Most Magnificent Thing -  by Ashley Spires



 I love that through things going wrong (and don't they for all of us at one point or another) something new and exciting comes out of the mistakes.


Good News Bad News by Jeff Mack


This book in nature is really quite simple. Something good happens, then something bad happens, then something good, then something bad and that's how the story goes.  But what I like about it is how most students can connect with this story and can usually come up with their own version of this book.  It's a great book to inspire writing in the early years (and most likely beyond).

Stuck  by Oliver Jeffers


There is something about Oliver Jeffers that I can't get enough of. What a great author writing such crazy stories.  Here a boy gets his kite stuck in a tree and a whole bunch of silly activities follow.  I love the giggles that come with this story when I share it with my class, and the guess they  make about what might get stuck next.


Hey Little Ant - by Phillip and Hannah Hoose Illustrated by Debbie Tilley


Another older book but one that always brings up good discussion and writing with the students I've shared it with.  Everyone has an opinion around what should happen in this book.

Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse -  by Kevin Henkes


How can you not like Kevin Henkes. What stands out for me with this  book (and in all honestly all his picture books could make this list) , is that it's another story both my students and I can easily connect with. Waiting is hard, and sometimes, we just don't want to do it. I also love how creative she gets when she's angry.

Anything is Possible  by Giulia Belloni and Marco Trevisan


Such a great book to keep our dreams alive.

The Day the Crayons Quit - Drew Daywalt illustrated by Oliver Jeffers


I love listening to stories, and every time I share this book with my students they get right into the crayons stories too.  When given the chance to write their favourite crayon back the writing is always passionate and purposeful.  A keeper for certain. 

This Plus That: Life’s Little Equations by Amy Krouse Rosenthal Illustrated by Jen Corace


This is the sweetest book ever and really gets you thinking about how things all aroud you are connected.  My students have always loved coming up with their own "Life's Little Equations" each time coming up with something different. It's the book that keeps on giving. :-)



My students and I are huge Todd Parr fans.  There is something great about the topics he writes about in such a child friendly manner.  His illustrations are super colourful too.  This book always brings about great discussion around reading, and it helps me build that love for reading to my students.

7 comments:

  1. Hurrah for Lily! I love Henkes Everything he does, love, love, love! This Plus That is also a wonderful pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great list. I'm adding THE OK BOOK, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, and THE MOST MAGNIFICENT THING to my list of books to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Most Magnificent Thing and have it on my list of 10 too!! I also love all of the other books on your list too! I don't know Good News, Bad News so will check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list of titles! It's clear to see why they are near/dear to you. This Plus That is a new AKR book for me - can't wait to check it out! My #pb10for10 is about PB featuring diverse characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Stuck! And so many on this list! Fabulous choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to make a rule that if I see a book several times, I get to order it. The OK Book is going in my cart based on that rule...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list. I need to find and pull out Hey Little Ant, I had forgotten about that book. I also love Lily. I have several other books you've suggested on hold now from our local library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete